Today while at the gym I managed to belly flop the floor in a wild and crazy attempt to do a burpee. Like. Are you kidding me? It was almost expected as 99 percent of new things that I attempt – especially when it comes to anything athletic – always end up backfiring. But this really wasn’t what I was planning for.
Apparently the only thing I will be burpee’ing are the ABC’s.
and even those usually end up coming out the wrong end.
But here is one thing that probably won’t come out wrong on your first try. This recipe. Mini prosciutto & tomato eggplant pizzas. Seriously so incredibly easy and the flavors are amazing. The roasted eggplant with the tomato sauce, a subtle hint of saltiness from the proscuitto and the creaminess from the cheese really makes these lil guys a party favorite.
Or in my case, a party for one favorite.
Hmmmm…… trying to think of a worthwhile note to mention…………
You can really add any meat topping of your choice! However I chose prosciutto because I wanted to still keep this recipe on the lighter side.
…….. and that is all I got.
- 3 egg plants sliced width wise into ½" rounds
- 2 cups mozzarella balls, sliced in half
- ½ lb prosciutto chopped into 1" pieces
- 3 tomatoes thinly sliced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. On a large baking sheet add your egg plant slices (will need two sheets) and brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper all over the tops.
- Place the egg plant in the oven and roast for about 12-14 minutes, flipping slices over half way through until light browned on top.
- Next remove from oven and evenly distribute sauce on all slices (you should use up all 8 oz of sauce for this).
- Add your 3-4 slices of prosciutto, 1 tomato slice & about 3-4 mozzarella halves on each eggplant slice. Next sprinkle red pepper all over (use as much or as little of this as you want. However the red pepper is definitely key!)
- Place back into the oven and let cook for another 8-10 minutes or until cheese has melted. If you are using fresh balls of cheese it will take longer, however if you are using bagged shredded cheese start checking after 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.