Since this post is linked up to my skill share class, I am skipping my usual rambling rants and going straight into the recipe. However if this is your first time here and would like to get to know me a little bit better (because I like to be wine’d and dine’d first) check out my other posts (such as this Vegan Chai Nog or Apple Pork with some Fig Jam & roasted veggies.
Click here to see a trailer of my skillshare class, and if you like what you see, please enroll!!! Plus, skillshare has SO many great classes to offer. Interested in food blogging? food photography? food styling? Things other than food? This is where you can get all of that first hand knowledge from people like both you & me. Open your horizon to the endless possibility of new beginnings, skills, jobs & hobbies.
For this recipe I use my single crust recipe that you can find here. Place in a 425 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
You may use any shape you like for these hand pies. I just used some tupperware to create a round disk shape, and then folded the dough over to create a half moon hand pie. Any shape will work, hearts, squares, triangles, rectangles…… stars…………… get creative!!
You can also get creative with the actual crust. Braid it, crimp it, pinch it, flute it, whatever you feel confident with doing. Do it. It will all taste the same.
- ½ lb or 2 sausage links chorizo, casings removed
- 3 eggs + 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- ¼ cup - ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Single crust pie recipe
- ½ cup greek yogurt,
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- ¼ lime, squeezed
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- First in a lage pan add your chorizo over medium heat and brown. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel (to soak up some fat)
- In a bowl add your eggs and 2 tbsp milk. Whisk.
- Add beaten eggs to same pan you cooked chorizo in and scramble over medium heat.
- Remove from heat.
- In food processor add your chorizo & scrambled eggs. Pulse until JUST combined and there are smaller egg/chorizo crumbles.
- Next rolling out one pie layer at a time, roll out onto a well floured surface (or on top of wax paper). Using whatever kind of shape cutter you want, cut/shape your hand pies. I like to use a large container top.
- Next add about ⅓ cup egg mixture. Sprinkle with a couple jalpaneo slices & cover with cheese.
- Add egg wash to rim around the dough and fold over, creating a half moon shape. Pinch down ends with fork. Add more egg wash on top, and score the top.
- Place in oven for 15-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with optional greek yogurt sauce.
- in a small bowl add yogurt, chives & lime. Salt & pepper to taste. Mix and serve.