And just like that 2016:
It’s funny how we all (well the majority) of us anxiously wait for this day to come to finally start making healthier choices. Or maybe more messed up. But whatever does the trick I guess, amiright? I definitely fall victim to that as I literally made sure to eat like extra crappy this last week (month) , being sure to include saturated fats in every meal. Because that totally makes sense. But TODAY YOU GUYS. We get a do-over!
I consider myself (self self)
The luckiest (wo) man (man man)
On the face of the Earth (Earth Earth)
Now if only I didn’t feel like someone hit me over the head with a bag of bricks, I guess that is why there is New Years Day Observed on January 2nd. It’s like a New Years day do-over. All resolutions will begin tomorrow.
But then…. that’s sorta cheating. And I don’t want to start this year off on a lie.
And we are in this together, right? Well only if you’re into the whole eating better (Mondays-Fridays). So that’s what I’m going to do. And actually that is what I did do, as I made this two days ago and am about to polish off the remains this morning.
Mini Sausage & Quinoa Breakfast Power Bowl. Putting those lil’ weenies to greater use than just wrapped dough.
If you don’t have mini sausages in your fridge, you can easily replace these with bacon, just slice the bacon into thirds for size 🙂
This meal can feed up to 6, so fry the eggs accordingly (each person gets one). If you are making this ahead of time fry the eggs as you go for freshness (I prefer that, but of course you can just reheat egg as well). Make sure to leave the egg yolk over easy as the creaminess from the yolk really brings some nice texture to the bowl.
Parmesan & Sriracha aren’t necessary additions but for me, the more the better! Plus a little goes a long way.
- 1 pkg cocktail sausages
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- 4 eggs, over easy
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Parmesan Cheese
- Follow the instructions in cooking your quinoa (back of packaging) but replace the water with the 2 cups of chicken broth (traditionally, the ration is 2 parts liquid : 1 part dry quinoa).
- While quinoa is cooking in a large pan over medium heat brown your cocktail sausages. Set aside once sides begin to leave "grill" marks. Remove sausages and set aside.
- Once quinoa has finished cooking add to medium pan (where you cooked sausages) and mix in your spinach. Next top with your browned sausages. Add ¼ cup of green onion, sunny side up eggs, red pepper flakes and sprinkle with optional parmesan and drizzle with sirracha.
- Serve immediately.