Aside from my habitual baking I try to cook my main meals a little on the “healthier” side. Healthy as in home cooked with whole ingredients. My grandpa always said when you enter the grocery store, only shop the perimeters. This forces you away from most packaged and processed options. If i didn’t follow his rules I literally would be an oompa loompa. Kraft macaroni and cheese would be happening on the daily as well as ranch doritos. I also probably wouldn’t have any friends due to horrid cheesey ranch breath. No one likes the smelly guy.
But to say I never shop the inner parts of the store for cooking would be a complete lie… I just use the above as a guide (pasta if it isn’t from scratch, spices, oils, flours… you get the idea).
I also prefer my cooking to be on the easier side, as in there is a very low chance of it tasting like total shit. So I present to you easy oven roasted chicken breast over tomatoes with pesto sauce. Get ready for your place to smell like heaven on earth.
For this recipe I used skin on bone in whole chicken breasts that if not packaged you can just get from the butcher (also this way you can be picky about the exact ones you want). I also chose to use both yellow and red tomatoes however that was more for looks 🙂 Also if you have a family of picky eaters, add the pesto to the tomatoes AFTER you serve the kiddos. I had to the learn the hard way with my son blowing raspberries after he had the pesto in his mouth. A white blouse wasn’t my smartest choice. Actually white or anything light-colored apparel will be the death of me during this whole mom-gig.
- For the Roast
- 2 chicken breasts skin on bone in
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes (I do both yellow and red for cosmetic reasons only 😉
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp butter cut into fourths
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For the Pesto
- 4-5 cups basil or about two large packages, stems removed (smaller stems are okay)
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan (plus more for serving)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- First preheat your oven to 450. Next using your hands lift the skin almost all the way off of chicken breast, basically creating a blanket that is still attached to the breast (I needed to use a sharp knife because some of my skin wouldn't budge).
- SPrinkle a little bit of salt under the skin and add two pieces of butter, cover with skin and then add a little bit of a pepper and drizzle ½ of olive oil on top. Repeat with second breast. Set aside.
- Add your tomatoes and garlic cloves to a baking or roasting dish.
- Place your chicken breasts on top and cover and place in the oven for 30 minutes, and then remove lid and continue to roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting prepare your pesto sauce. In a food processor add your basil, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic powder. Blend until almost smooth.
- Add your parmesan, pulse a little more. Stir in your salt and pepper to taste.
- Once chicken is done, remove from oven and cover and let rest for another 10 minutes. Remove breasts from roast, and stir in half of your pesto mixture with the tomatoes, and then place chicken breasts back on top. Add pesto on top of chicken and sprinkle some parmesan on top for serving (optional).