Another long title brought to you by yours truly, an english professionals nightmare, myself.
anywhos. it’s been a little while, but that is because i’ve been a little busy. which is no excuse. i also feel like i sound like a broken record these days as i am pretty sure 90 percent of my last 10 or so posts has started the same way “oh hi there, it’s been a while” or some BS excuse that i hope you’ll buy.
but also i try and do these posts in the morning before i go to my err’day job and i usually press the ol’ snooze button at least 10000 times before i actually get out of bed, and by that time my real job has already started and i’m running out of the house like a bat outta hell.
and then of course on my commute to the studio i am cursing myself for not being an adult at the ripe age of almost thirty, gulp.
apparently old habits die hard, or in my case, never.
So. back to the main reason for this post, a recipe. Specifically this roasted radicchio salad with crispy bacon, pine nuts & shaved parmesan. Drizzled with honey & balsamic to make this salad, taste less like a salad, and more like a dream.
Radicchio not really yo thang (yes it has a bitter bite so understand if you’re too sweet to handle)
Any green will work! Seriously. Cabbage, leafy greens…. a potato (i mean, why the hell not).
Feel free to change the toppings up with whatever you have available in your fridge i.e.: pancetta for bacon (because you so fancy), a sharp cheese for parmesan, caramelized onions for…. caramelized onions (don’t change this, please don’t). Add a roasted tomato or two to really kick up the flavor notes.
This is easy, because it’s supposed to be. So just enjoy.
- 2 heads of radicchio, sliced in half
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and ripped into smaller pieces
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup shaved parmesan
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey + more for drizzle
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic for drizzle
- First preheat an oven or fire up a grill to 425
- Next take your halved radicchio and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp black pepper.
- Next wrap in foil and place in oven, cut side up, for about 8 minutes. Unwrap foil so cut sides are exposed and turn oven to broil. Brown tops of radicchio for about 1- 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Thinly slice yellow onion. In same pan you cooked your bacon (optional) add 2 tbsp olive oil (if no bacon fat is in pan, if bacon fat is present add additional oil so you have 2 tbsp of some sort of fat in pan). Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Next add 1 tbsp of honey & 1 tsp of salt to onions. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next divide radicchio into salad bowls, or plates and top with caramelized onions, cooked bacon bits, pine nuts and shaved parmesan.
- Drizzle with a little bit of honey and balsamic, serve.