I’m in the middle of a move and I seriously wish someone would flatten me like a pancake or Mike Tyson me out cold. All I want to do is crawl into a dark space with an IV drip of Tim Smiths finest until this whole thing is over with and then have prince charming banana bag me back to health once everything has been moved to its new place. Thank God for having a super human of a mother (you da best).
However, on the bright side, this move has forced me to use up all of my counter rotting produce that is close to becoming a home for flies. And my pineapple was on its way there.
Pineapple boats. More specifically, roasted pineapple fried quinoa boats. Fried rice (or in this case, quinoa) is probably one of the best dishes to prepare when trying to clean out your fridge. Pretty much anything goes. And the best part about these? They are kind of good for you. And they taste kind of even better.
You’ll need a sharp knife when cutting the pineapple in half. It takes a little bit of elbow grease, but isn’t too painful. I also suggest using a pairing knife when cutting out the inside, this way you have more control of carving/scooping out the pineapple meat. If you need a better visual on how to do this, try watching this video. Quick & easy demo.
I chose to use quinoa instead of rice, mainly because I am in a wedding next week and I look like a sausage in my dress. The struggle is real (or lack of self control). Spanks will be my new best friend.
You can use any meat in replacement of the bacon, however this is just what I happened to have leftover in my fridge, and it reminded me of Hawaiian style ‘za. So money.
- 1 Pineapple, sliced in half, and middle scooped and chopped into ¼" pieces
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 yellow onion, chopped small
- 2 eggs, scrambled and set aside
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place your pineapple on a baking sheet. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil and toss. Place in oven for 20 - 25 minutes until outside begins to turn a deeper brown, mixing half way through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Next in a large pan over medium heat add your bacon and cook. Turn off pan and remove bacon onto a plate and pat with paper towels. Cut bacon into small ½ " pieces. Set aside.
- Next in same pan, with bacon fat add your chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add your cooked quinoa to pan with onion and mix. Next add garlic powder, black pepper, soy sauce and 1 tbsp olive oil. Stir.
- Add your pineapple pieces, bacon, scrambled egg and stir together. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour fried quinoa mix into scooped out pineapples and serve.