This last weekend teaser of 80 degree springtime weather?
Holy nuts and bolts. We’re screwed.
Or if anyone else’s upper lip is perspiring just thinking about this past weekend then you are not alone.
Welcome to the beginning of six months worth of pure cheese sweats. It’s only downhill from here.
Unless someone comes up with scented air conditioned ventilated pants, I’m as good as dead. H.E.L.P.
But here is an upside to an early summer swelter. Herbs. Shell Fish. Zucchini. Okay technically I can get this all year round – thank you zones with warmer climates – (coughshowoffscough) – but something about this Pesto Shrimp, Broiled Tomatoes and Zoodles dish just really gets me in the mood for the warmer weather months (spent safely indoors).
I like to purchase my shrimp already peeled and deveined – tails on – for ease and quickness. However feel free to peel your own shrimp….. ain’tnobodygottimeforthat.
The cilantro + arugula give this pesto a special bite as per the usual basil pesto.
The sweetness of the broiled tomatoes helps break up the sharp bite of the pesto and I highly recommend including them (plus it breaks up all of the green).
- 2 lb peeled & deveined shrimp (medium sized)
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 vine of smaller salad tomatoes (or about 6-8)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- ¾ cup cilantro leaves
- 2½ cups arugula
- ⅓ cup olive oil + 2 tbsp
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1 garlic clove (pressed)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- First bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and add 2 tbsp kosher salt, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp garlic powder and 2 tsp ground white pepper.
- Once water is boiling add your peeled and deveined shrimp and let rapid boil 5-6 minutes, remove and drain shrimp and then place in a bowl in the fridge until ready to use.
- Next set your oven to broil.
- In a baking dish add your tomatoes, Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil & salt and pepper.
- Broil tomatoes for 5-8 minutes until the top edges begin to darken. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Next in a food processor add your cilantro,arugula, ⅓ cup olive oil, pine nuts, parmesan & pressed garlic. Process until a chunky paste forms.
- Salt & Pepper to taste and process again until blended. Set aside.
- In a large pan (optional) over medium heat add a little salt and oil, saute your zucchini noodles for about 3 minutes (until just softened). Remove from heat. Toss with ⅓ of pesto.
- Toss another ⅓ of pesto with shrimp and add to zucchini noodles and then gently give a couple of tosses to just mix in some of the shrimp.
- Remove broiled tomatoes from the vine (if they aren't already) and place on top of zoodles and shrimp pesto.
- Divide zoodle meal evenly into bowls and serve with remaining pesto on the side (optional).P