Sooooo I joined weight watchers and nearly poo’ed myself when I found out that one cup of my store-bought granola was TWENTY ONE POINTS.
OUT OF THIRTY.
I had completely screwed myself for the rest of the day, knowing that my evening wine takes up a solid ten points and there was literally no way I was going to deprive myself of my daily confidence in a glass.
And the worst part ? Well…. the having to cut back on wine was probably the worst part. But the other worst part? The granola wasn’t even that great. The texture was mediocre and the flavors were all melded together so the nuts tasted like chocolate, the chocolate tasted like bananas, and the granola tasted like vanilla flavoring. Such a waste.
And then of course – lightbulb – bake it ya-self. if i was going to be cutting back i better make my calories count (and if you aren’t on a diet, still bake this, because it’s really super tasty.)
White chocolate & pistachio (mustachio bashio) granola. The perfect mix of sweet and salty with every point-inducing bite. Crunchy texture guaranteed.
You may buy shelled pistachios, however they definitely can be a little pricy and since this recipe only calls for about a 1/2 cup of shelled ‘stachios, i recommend buying the unshelled and taking a crack at them yourself. Toughen up those thumbs.
I prefer bar chocolate for almost every recipe that I use that involves chocolate, but especially for white. White chocolate chips tend to leave a strange film on the roof of my mouth….. and if that’s just me then please disregard this TMI.
Storing this granola in the fridge makes for a great summer treat // perfectly textured cereal so I highly recommend it!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup shelled lightly salted pistachios, rough chopped
- ¾ cup roasted shelled sunflower seeds (salted)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup shaved white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or lightly grease.
- First in a medium sized bowl add your oats, pistachios, sunflower seeds, brown sugar & cinnamon. Mix together.
- Next in a small bowl whisk your egg, olive oil & vanilla extract.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry oat mixture and mix until blended.
- Next lay granola out on a large baking sheet and place in oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven and evenly distribute white chocolate shavings on top. Let chocolate melt for about 10 minutes. Mix and then pour into an airtight container and store in fridge.