When Whole Foods has dollar oysta’s, you shuck ’em. No questions asked.
And then you jump on every opportunity to bake fries to obviously go with. More importantly, truffle fries. More + More importantly, pecorino romano & parsley truffle fries.
This alsooooo may be the best date night dish ever (and incredibly fun to prepare together…. I could definitely throw in some non PG jokes here, but my father reads this, so you’ll be spared).
Or this could also be a really satisfying dish for one. I can tell you that from experience.
Need I say more?
Probably not, but its kind of necessary.
Oysters in a half shell, yes, this means you have to do the shucking yourself. Word to the wise: buy an oyster knife. Or you run the risk of losing a finger to a pairing knife (wherever you are getting your oysters should have a knife available for purchase, will run you under ten dollars).
If you’re new to shucking oysters….. or feel intimidated… don’t be. If Martha Stewart can shuck like a champ, so can you. Watch this video for a little how-to. BUT be warned : it definitely takes practice and some muscle. Which I kind of lack (the second part) so it took me a little bit longer…… And if that is the case, place your oysters on a bed of ice and cover with a damp towel until you finish shucking each one. This will keep them from dying and getting all gooey and gross.
Now for the fries…. SO easy. Just slice them thin and evenly, distribute them onto a baking sheet, pop em in the oven and bam. If you prefer your fries a little more crispy, turn on the broiler at the end for about 2-3 minutes. But be sure to watch them carefully as you don’t want them to burn.
Also….. this dish is best served immediately.
- 12, shucked oysters and served on half shell
- 4 tbsp cocktail sauce
- 4 lemon wedges
- Horseradish (optional)
- 2 russet potatoes, sliced into skinny strips (fries)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black truffle oil
- ½ cup shaved pecorino romano cheese
- ¼ cup flat parsley, torn pieces
- First preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Next on a baking sheet add your sliced potato strips, garlic powder, pepper & olive oil. Toss together and then spread out as evenly as possible on baking sheet. Place in oven for about 23-25 minutes, or until desired texture is reached.
- Remove fries from oven and toss in truffle oil, shaved cheese & parsley. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Place oysters on the half shell over ice and with lemon wedges, optional cocktail sauce & horseradish along with a side of fries.
- Serve immediately