I’ve got a thing for ‘taters. More specifically tots.
And I also really love this scene in Napoleon Dynamite, which I am pretty sure increased tater tot sales by…. oh I don’t know…. 500000 percent. Or more. Definitely more.
And if that left you numb, then I’m #sorrynotsorry.
But I also love hasselback potatoes. They literally give your average baked potato a facelift and bring a little texture depth leaving your senses extra fulfilled.
Thus the inspiration for these Greek Loaded Hasseltots.
Fingerling potatoes, hasselback style, and then roasted in the oven. Topped with ground lamb, fresh cucumbers & radishes, feta cheese, and then drizzled with (or in my pictures case, blobbed on) greek yogurt.
I wanted a meal out of these, instead of the usual side, but also being a little conscious that swimsuit season is weeks away (or in my case, will probably need to wait more like months before bearing down) I decided to go a little “lighter” on the toppings.
These babies are incredibly easy to make, meal prepped and cooked in under an hour and are very family friendly (except my son needed the potatoes to basically bathe in ketchup before consumption).
If you’re weird about lamb, try replacing it with bison, which is incredibly lean and healthy. And if those two don’t do it for you then get ya beef, extra lean.
You may really top these off with ANYTHING that is in the fridge. This is a great dish to make on Mondays using up all of your leftover food from the weekend. Or really any day of the week…. I just find that I am loaded with a trillion leftovers every Monday. Let’s be tasteful, not wasteful ;p
For tips on slicing the potatoes, check out my other hasselback post.
**** I also am fully aware that the cheese in the photos is NOT feta. but feta was non existent at the time of recipe development, and trust me, there is no substitute. so use feta.
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary sprigs
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- First preheat oven to 425 degrees. While oven is preheating, take your fingerling potatoes and make small slits starting from the top and slicing ¾ of the way down, being sure not to slice through potato. Continue to do this with all of the potatoes.
- Next toss in a large bowl toss potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and a little salt & pepper (about ½ tsp each).
- Line potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush a little more olive oil on top of each and place back in oven for another 10-15 minutes or until tops are starting to turn golden brown.
- While potatoes are baking, heat a medium sized pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tsp olive oil to pan. Next add your lamb meat.
- Cook until browned. Drain fat, and then add your garlic powder, fresh rosemary, and cinnamon. Salt & pepper again to taste. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to eat.
- Prepare you greek yogurt sauce by adding the greek yogurt, fresh dill and lime to a small bowl.
- Assemble the greek loaded tots by topping the tots with the meat, fresh vegetables, feta cheese and greek yogurt. Serve