guys. allergies. what in the hell shmell. or i might just be getting sick, for the ten thousandth time this year. WHICH. means i’m basically going to be pushing daisies over the weekend so that’s something to look forward to.
thankfully my son is a skilled balance bicyclist soo i’ll be sending him off like a pigeon to fetch me my meds. and by meds I mean a bottle of whiskey to kill the germs. and by whiskey i’m actually referring to a big box of sale chocolates, tissues, and some sappy love movies. if you can’t beat death, you might as well join it. and there is nothing like a Freddy Prinze JR movie to really send you straight off the edge.
the good news is that I basically expect to get sick every 6 weeks or so and was fully prepared for this death sentence. Hence, this Italian Sausage, Kale & Egg Drop Soup. The perfect meal that transitions you into these cooler spring days with a healthy dose of deliciousness. Adios allergies, smell ya later.
If you want to kick the heat up a notch on this recipe I suggest using spicy Italian sausage. And adding a little more white pepper. Nothing like clearing out those early spring sinuses in a healthy way.
If you aren’t a huge fan of kale I recommend using another big leafy green. Big leafy spinach works well here and softens up much much more however I like to use kale for the texture and I love the way it stores in soup for leftovers.
Anything goes! Have carrots that are being neglected? Add em. Soup is the perfect way to get rid of all the vegetables that you were initially so proud of yourself for buying in the first place, and then suddenly finding yourself to be avoiding them like a plague come mid-week. Happens to the worst of us. and I just happen to be the worst 99 percent of the time, so soup has become a staple.
- 1 lb sweet italian sausage, sliced into ½" medallions (it's okay if the shape is a little wonky)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups kale, cut into large chunks
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup grated parmesan + more for sprinkling
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium high heat add 1 tsp oil and sweet italian sausage. Cook until sausage has browned and then drain fat, leaving a little less than ½ tsp in pan and remove sausage. Set aside.
- Next in same pot (using the fat from sausage, after drained, that has already coated the pan) over medium heat add your garlic. Saute for 30 seconds and then add your onion. Saute for five minutes.
- Next add your dry white wine and continue to cook onion and garlic for an additional 5 minutes (this will help burn off alcohol and strong wine flavor).
- Next add your chicken broth, nutmeg, white pepper and garlic powder. Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Add your kale chunks and let simmer for about 5 minutes, or until kale has begun to soften a little. Add sausage back into soup.
- Next slowly add your eggs to soup while continuously whisking soup as eggs cook and mix in (basically creating a whirl pool for the eggs as you pour them)
- Add lemon juice and grated parmesan. Stir together.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Serve soup with a little lemon zest and parmesan on top.