***Since this post is linked up to my skill share class, I am skipping my usual rambling rants and going straight into the recipe. However if this is your first time here and would like to get to know me a little bit better (because I like to be wine’d and dine’d first) check out my other posts (Such as this Healthy-errrr Pho or Easy Breakfast stuffed poblano peppers)
Click here to see a trailer of my skillshare class, and if you like what you see, please enroll!!! Plus, skillshare has SO many great classes to offer. Interested in food blogging? food photography? food styling? Things other than food? This is where you can get all of that first hand knowledge from people like both you & me. Open your horizon to the endless possibility of new beginnings, skills, jobs & hobbies.
Now…. Let’s go straight into the recipe…..
Braising is a method where the meat is browned in some fat (I use oil here) and then cooked for a lengthy amount of time in liquid which in turn will reduce some of the fat and the fibers of the meat will soften and basically fall apart. This enhances the meat flavor and gives the most mouth watering texture to your meat. This is probably my favorite way to cook red meat!
For this recipe I use my single crust pie recipe, preheating the oven to 425 and baking for 25-35 minutes or until the top of the crust is a golden brown color. I like to use milk to brush on the top of this pie for more of a matte look however you may use an egg wash as well (which in turn will create more of a shiny appearance).
Click here for the single crust pie recipe
Braised Short Rib Pot Pie
- Braised Short Rib Pot Pie *
- 2 lb boneless short ribs
- ¼ cup olive oil + 1 tbsp
- 32 oz beef broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 5-6 red potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ cup ap flour
- Single Crust Pie Recipe
- First salt & pepper generously all sides of short ribs and let them sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a large pan add your ¼ cup oil, and short ribs, browning on all sides, about 5 minutes over medium high heat.
- Place in a dutch oven, or pot of choice (oven proof)
- Next add your broth, red wine, cider vinegar, soy sauce & honey to the pot. Mix together.
- Place in oven for 2½ - 3 hours, until meat has softened and pulls apart easily.
- Remove from oven, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Next in a pot, full of boiling water add your carrots and potatoes. Boil for about 8 minutes or until just tender.
- While those are boiling in a pan (you may use same pan you browned meat in) add 1 tbsp olive oil & onions. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add your garlic. Saute for another minute. Add peas. Once carrots & potatoes are done boiling, add them and cook for about another two minutes.
- Add vegetables to short ribs/broth. Using a fork, tear/shred the short ribs.
- Whisk in ½ cup flour until just thickened (the pie will thicken as it bakes)
- Next roll out your pie dough and place on top of pot covering the braised short ribs. Pinch & score the top.
- Place in oven for about 25-35 minutes until crust is golden.
- Remove & serve warm
**I also have just a braised short rib recipe that you can find here if you are wanting to skip the pie part. Or if you are wanting to make a braised short rib taco, click here to see that one!